If you haven't tried black bean brownies...you MUST! These are super moist, chocolatey and definitely satisfying. They contain plenty of fibre and protein from the flax and black beans - you'd never guess they were made from these ingredients. Dare we say they're even better than your standard brownie!
Total prep time: 10 minutes + 20 minutes bake time
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed OR gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup or less of pure maple syrup or honey (omit if vegan)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor or blender, mix all brownie ingredients (except chips) together. Blend on high, for 1½ minutes, or more until super smooth. Clean off sides and blend for another 20 seconds. Add the chips in and stir well.
- Spread into the 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes but no longer! They will seem undercooked in the centre but the sides should be lifting away from the edge of the dish. Cool for about 1 hour in dish at room temperature before cutting into squares and serving. It's worth the wait!
Recipe courtesy of Amanda Hamel, RD.
Click here for a printable PDF version of this recipe.
Don't forget to join our Craving Healthy Habits online community for more crave-worthy recipes. Besides being a place to share and reflect about your healthy lifestyle journey, we also host contests and challenges to keep you motivated and having fun. We’d love to have you!