This quick-fix hearty salad is a surefire hit at any family picnic or BBQ. It serves well as a side dish or on its own for a quick lunch or filling snack.
- 1 bag frozen avocado, thawed (or 3 fresh)
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn (with or without jalapeños), thawed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper and/or jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh lime juice (to taste) - 1 or 2 fresh limes should do the trick
Toss together in a large bowl with spices, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Thaw one bag of frozen chopped avocado (that's right! You can find the convenience of chopped avocado all year round, right in the frozen section of most groceries now.). Thaw two cups of frozen corn.
- Rinse and drain one can of black beans.
- Meanwhile, finely chop one small red onion and one red pepper. You can also add in one finely chopped jalapeno if you prefer a little heat.
- Toss all ingredients into a large bowl with the spices. Season with salt to taste. Spritz the juice of 1-2 fresh limes over top and mix to evenly coat. Note: the lime juice will also help prevent the avocados from browning.
- Cover in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Serve cold. Keeps well for 2-3 days in the fridge.
Click here for a printable PDF version of this recipe.