Makes 12 Muffins, Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tsp apple pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and ginger)
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 apple peeled, shredded
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large carrots, grated
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup or one small can of crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup of walnuts
- Line muffin tins with paper liners and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add the flours, oats, honey, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice and whisk well to combine.
- Add in the applesauce, crushed pineapple, oil, apple and vanilla, whisk just until combined.
- Fold in the carrot, raisins, coconut and walnuts, stir until ingredients are combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 F and bake for additional 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (or just a dew crumbs are attached).
- Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.