Quick, easy, affordable, filling, and nutritious – roasted chickpeas just may be the ultimate snack. Instead of opting for pretzels and chips, these crunchy roasted chickpeas are a healthier choice and still offer that satisfying crunch.
Tip: Because chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and fibre, if you snack on these before hitting up the holiday goodie trays, you will be less likely to over indulge.
The prep time is minimal but you need to stick close to the oven for about an hour. Once they’re ready, portion out ~1/2 cup servings for grab-and-go snacks through the week. Or, put in a mason jar and have a stash in your cupboard for a crunchy snack!
· 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· Seasoning of choice
o Basic blend: salt, pepper
o Savory blend: salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, paprika
o Sweet blend: cinnamon, brown sugar (limit to ~1-2 tbsp)
o Spicy blend: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
o Autumn blend: pumpkin pie spice, pure maple syrup (limit to ~1-2 tbsp)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Line a baking sheet with paper towel and spread the chickpeas over. Use another paper towel to gently press and absorb the water on the chickpeas until they are dry (this helps them become crunchier once roasted).
3. Place the chickpeas in the oven (no oil, no seasoning) to dry roast for 15-20 min. Remove from oven and drizzle olive oil over them and toss thoroughly so they are evenly coated. Do the same with the spices of your choice.
4. Return to the oven and bake another 15-20 minutes. Then, turn the oven off and leave the chickpeas inside for at least an hour (can be longer). This helps to further dry them out making them even crunchier.
Click here for a printable PDF version of this recipe.