- 1 lb beef stewing cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ can tomato paste
- 2 tsp thyme, dried
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 4 cups beef broth, no sodium added
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 potato (sweet or white), cubed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp each of the following: thyme, oregano, basil, garlic salt
- ¼ cup corn starch + 3 tbsp water
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to season the meat
1. Season stewing beef with salt and pepper and brown in a large pot with oil.
2. Add garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, 2 tsp thyme, and red wine. Simmer on low for 30 min.
3. In crock pot, heat on low, add beef broth, chunks of carrots, parsnip, and potato. Add precooked beef. Add water as needed. Heat on high for 4-5 hours.
4. Add cornstarch mixed with water, peas and 1 tsp each of thyme, oregano, basil, pepper, and garlic salt. Keep on low for another 30 min stirring often as the stew thickens.
5. Garnish with parsley and serve.