- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp each of thyme and rosemary
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1, 19 oz can each of lentils and chickpeas (drained, rinsed, and well-mashed or pureed) combined both together.
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 5-6 medium potatoes
- 2 parsnips
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp vegan margarine (Becel or Earth’s balance are good brands)
- ¼ cup milk alternative (coconut, soy, or almond)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Base: Heat oil in large pot. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until soft and tender. Add spices, carrots, and broth. Simmer on medium heat for about 30-minutes until carrots become tender. Add lentil/chickpea mixture. Transfer to a prepared casserole dish. Top evenly with frozen peas.
- Topping: Wash potatoes and remove any damaged areas but aim to leave majority of skin on. Cut into large chunks and place in large pot. Peel parsnips, slice evenly (1” thickness) and add to pot along with potatoes and whole garlic cloves. Add water to cover and boil. Once all vegetables are soft, drain then add margarine and milk alternative and mash together. You may wish to use an electric mixture to create a smoother texture. Spoon topping evenly over base mixture.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until topping starts to brown and base is bubbling on the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy! Makes for great leftovers.
For more quick and simple (yet always nutritious and delicious) recipe ideas, like our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram!