Homemade granola is undeniably healthier than any packaged option you can find and what’s even better is you can tweak ingredients to suit your taste preferences. Once made, it stores quite well at room temperature in a sealed container or Mason jar. Add it to yogurt and fruit for a delicious parfait for breakfast, snack-time, or dessert.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup dried apple slices, crumbled
- 3/4 tsp apple pie spice + added dash cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or canola oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 340 F.
2. Mix the oats, nuts, apples, spices, salt, and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup and pumpkin puree and whisk. Pour over the dry ingredients and quickly mix with a wooden spoon.
4. Spread the mixture evenly onto two baking sheets (or bake in two batches) and bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring a bit near the halfway point. If you prefer chunkier granola, don’t stir as it breaks up the clusters. Instead, just rotate the pans at the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
5. Once the granola is golden brown (usually about 25 minutes), remove from oven and let cool completely. It will crisp up as it cools.
6. Transfer to an airtight container. Should keep for a couple weeks.