Makes about 20 cakes
- 2 2/3 Cups cooked quinoa
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/2 Cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup Romano cheese, grated
- 2-3 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 Cup regular or gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/4 Cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 Cup shredded zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. oil
Tip from dietitian Lisa Bos:
Play with flavours using your favourite herbs and spices, different veggies and different cheeses!
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, eggs, salt and pepper and mix well. Add in parsley, onions, Romano cheese, garlic and bread crumbs and continue to mix. Finally add shredded carrot and zucchini (or other vegetables of choice).
- Using your hands, begin to create small patties using about 2 Tbsps of the mixture. If the patties are too dry, add a few drops of water. If they are too wet, add some more bread crumbs.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Add the oil. Place 7 or 8 small patties in the pan and cook about 10 minutes, until the bottom is browned. Gently flip with a spatula and cook about 5 minutes until browned. Continue to cook the rest of the patties. Add more oil in between batches if needed.
- Serve plain, with ketchup, on wraps, in place of hamburger patties and more! tastes great the next day heated up for lunches or freeze them for later enjoyment!
Recipe inspired by http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/04/09/crispy-quinoa-patties